Friday, July 22, 2005

Open letter to Robert Kilroy-Silk MEP

The following open letter has been posted on the 'Talk Veritas' public pages, for details on the background of its author, the full posting may be read by clicking here.

Quote

OPEN LETTER FROM BRYAN SMALLEY TO ROBERT KILROY-SILK ABOUT THE FUTURE OF VERITAS

“Where are we going?”

20th July 2005

Dear Robert,

I am writing to express my concern about certain happenings which appear to be taking place in Veritas. I have just heard of the suspension of the membership of Ken Wharton apparently without any proper disciplinary procedure or a hearing to allow him to present his side of the story. I have also just discovered that we have a new chairman a Mr Patrick Eston whom I had never heard of before.

I think it only fair to let you know that I am being encouraged to stand as leader in the forthcoming election.

I left UKIP to join Veritas mainly because it was run by a cabal which I regarded as dishonest and which kept control by relying heavily on its disciplinary procedures which were almost without exception implemented illegally.

I regarded you as having charisma and an ability to communicate our message to the media. This should have been a good starting point. Unfortunately I have found you lacking in every respect of any qualities of leadership. A leader needs to take his team with him. He has to earn and maintain their respect. This is particularly so in a voluntary organisation because members are free to leave if they are unhappy with their leader.

Leadership is not achieved by bullying nor by acting dictatorially. First, a leader needs to be able to communicate with his team. Second, he needs to have clear objectives, and third, he needs to look after individuals within the team even though they may have views contrary to his own.

Having joined Veritas I found all these qualities lacking. I have never received any newsletter or similar communication telling me what is happening. During the election I pleaded for information such as a list of members within my constituency. I never received a response. From what I hear, you appear to have put your faith in a confidence trickster who also issues orders in an autocratic style. To date none of your management team have been elected.

I have a further concern. No organisation can function sufficiently without funds. If the new chairman is to issue a monthly newsletter how is it to be funded? Has any costing been undertaken? Bearing in mind the problems which we seem to have experienced finding the deposits for candidates, such things as a monthly newsletter appear to be nothing more than a pipe dream. I presume that the chairman thinks that putting information on a web site constitutes a newsletter. It doesn’t! What about members who are unable to access the web site?

It seems to me that there is no one in the Party who has sufficient experience or ability to keep Veritas running. Its formation was a wonderful idea. A party telling the truth run by honest people.

Unless there is massive change, the Party will inevitably die. It will certainly not survive as a one-man band. Please tell me, and all the other members, what you are going to do to put it right.

I think this should really be an open letter. It would be useful as a tool to determine whether I am just an odd-ball or whether a majority of other members share my concerns.

Sincerely,

Bryan Smalley
Much Hadham,
Hertfordshire

Unquote

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home